Professor: Tadahiro Kitamura
Associate Professor: Masaki Kobayashi
Assistant Professor: Daisuke Kohno
Research Associate: Hiromi Hashimoto
Post Doc Fellow: Osamu Kikuchi
Research Technician: Hiroko Suzuki
Research Technician: Yuki Watanuki
Research Technician: Mana Shimizu
Graduate Student: Eri Wada
Special Research Student: Norikiyo Honzawa
Graduate Student: Yuichi Ikeuchi
Graduate Student: Haruka Tsuneoka
Joint Research Fellow: Takayoshi Suga
It is considered that type 2 diabetes (T2DM) is caused by insulin resistance (loss of insulin function) and pancreatic beta cell failure (loss of insulin secretion). However, recent genetic studies using molecular biology and gene manipulating technology revealed that pancreatic alpha cell (secreting glucagon) failure and the dysfunction of central energy metabolism also account for the etiology of T2DM. Therefore, we are conducting research by using animal models of diabetes with focusing on the pancreatic islets and the hypothalamus. We are attempting to clarify the molecular mechanism of T2DM and apply it to the development of new strategy to treat or prevent diabetes
- Clarifying the molecular mechanism of pancreatic beta cell dysfunction in type 2 diabetes
- Elucidating how “metabolic signals” regulate energy homeostasis in the hypothalamus at the molecular level
- Investigating the molecular mechanism by which plasma glucagon levels elevate in type 2 diabetes
- Developing a new glucagon sandwich ELISA system and re-evaluating plasma glucagon levels
- Investigating molecular mechanism for the extra beneficial effects of anti-diabetes drugs toward controlling body weight and glucagon secretion
Diabetes, Obesity, Insulin, Glucagon, Genetically engineered animal model, Pancreatic cell, Pancreatic β cell, Hypothalamus, Metabolism, Life span
- Kohno D. et al. (2020) Endocrine Journal, in press
- Kobayashi M. et al. (2020) Endocrine Journal, in press
- Suga T. et al. (2019) Mol Metab. 19:1-12.
- Matsui S. et al. (2018) Nat Communi 9:4604-4620.
- Miyachi A. et al. (2017) Anal Bioanal. Chem 409:5911-8.
- Sasaki T. et al. (2014) Diabetologia 57: 819-31.
- Susanti V-Y. et al. (2014) Obesity 10: 2115-9.
- Kitamura T. (2013) Nat Rev Endo 9: 615-23.