Assistant Professorship, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University
The Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation (IMCR), Gunma University is seeking a researcher in the field of endocrinology and metabolism to occupy one assistant professorship for a term of five academic years.
Approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), IMCR is the only basic research center in the field of endocrinology and metabolism in Japan. Responding to social demands, IMCR aims for high-quality basic medical research on lifestyle maladies such as metabolic syndrome. IMCR is also involved in many collaborative projects undertaken upon request from the scientific community. IMCR seeks one assistant professor with outstanding achievements in the study of cell biology and related areas. We are looking for a researcher who will study molecular mechanisms of organellar dynamics and their relationship to cellullar homeostasis and animal development in the Laboratory of Molecular Membrane Biology under the mentoring of Professor Miyuki Sato. We use nematode C. elegans as a model system and are especially interested in physiological roles of autophagy and endocytosis in early embryos.
(For more information, visit https://www.imcr.gunma-u.ac.jp/?lan=en)
1. Position Offered
1 Assistant professorship
The Appointee will be affiliated with the IMCR, Gunma University.
• Applicants are required to hold a Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree.
• Applicants should have an outstanding record of achievements in research in the field of endocrinology or metabolism.
• Applicants should be thoroughly proficient in Japanese.
4. Term of Employment
The employment contract is for five years, renewable once for five more years (maximum of ten years). The performance of the appointee will be assessed during his/her term by the IMCR Promotion Committee. The appointee who successfully fulfills the evaluation process will then be appointed as a tenured professor at Gunma University.
5. Beginning of Employment
Employment will begin on April 1st, 2021 or later.
6. Fields of Research
Gunma University seeks applications for one assistant professorship in the following fields of research:
Basic medical sciences in cell biology, developmental biology, imaging mainly using C. elegans as model organism systems.
(1) Perform basic medical research in the field described in category 6 above.
(2) Contribute to international collaborative research.
(3) Publish research findings and present findings at domestic and international conferences.
(4) Apply for and obtain research grants from external sources.
(5) Participate in educational activities carried out at the Gunma University undergraduate or graduate schools.
(6) Perform other miscellaneous tasks as required by the University.
8. Working Conditions
(1) The appointee will be posted to work at the Gunma University Showa Campus.
(2) The appointee is subject to Gunma University employment regulations.
(3) University regulations apply to inventions and/or discoveries produced while employed in the position offered. The intellectual property rights belong to the University.
The assistant professor’s (annual salary system) are determined in accordance with the Gunma University salary regulations.
10. Documents to be submitted in support of the application
(1) Curriculum vitae (Form 1*)
(2) List of publications (Form 2*, Excel file)
(3) List of scientific research fund grants received during the past 10 years (Form 3*)
(4) Copies of up to 5 publications
(5) A statement of purpose of approximately 1,500 words regarding the objectives of the applicant’s research.
(6) Two letters of recommendation (one of which should be written by a member from outside of current affiliation).
(7) Letter of commitment (Form 4*)
(8) Storage medium (CD, DVD, or USB clip drive), containing Word or Excel files of (1)-(5) and (7).
Application documents must reach Gunma University by December 4th, 2020 (JST).
12. Selection of Candidates
(1) Selection will be determined through examination of application documents.
(2) Applicants will be called in for an interview and asked to make a presentation. Applicants selected in the first screening will be contacted at a later date.
(3) Applicants will be informed of the final decision by post in late February 2021.
(4) The IMCR promotes gender equality by actively hiring women when candidates are recognized as equivalent in performance evaluation (performance in research, educational performance, and social contributions). The Institute also welcomes foreign researchers who can contribute to the globalization of the Institute.
13. Submitting Application Materials
Post all the application materials to the address below. On the envelope, please indicate “Assistant Professor Application Documents.”
Chairman of the Assistant Professor Selection Committee
Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University
Maebashi, Gunma 371-8512
14. For further information, write to the following address:
For further information related to the IMCR program, please contact:
Mr. Kohji SEKINE
General Affairs Division, Institute for Molecular and Cellular Regulation, Gunma University
Please contact Professor Miyuki SATO for inquiry about the research. (E-mail: email@example.com)